Wednesday, October 7, 2009

October Art and Thrift

Ok, here comes a new monthly blog post I like to call...Art-and-Thrift. :)

Each month, I'll post a project that gets my creative juices flowing by being thrifty in some way...repurposing, recycling, using packaging, using up my ginormous stash, etc etc.

I'm REALLY loving using a more free-flowing, artsy style lately...using up whatever's around me in a creatively rewarding way. It's making me happy! :)

So, my October Art-and-Thrift debut project is this little number:



Thrift Tip #1:

I wanted to use up some OLD alpha rub-ons as an accent on this layout. At first, I was thinking of just rubbing the letters on in a collage-type way, but then I decided to keep them ON the sheet, and just cut accents out of it!

I ripped two random strips, and then cut a heart-shape. After inking the edges up a bit, they made the perfect messy transparency-type look I was going for. :)



Thrift Tip #2:

Usually I write a rough draft of my journaling on any random paper lying around, before typing it out for my layout. But this time, I just used the crumpled old notebook paper rough draft as my actual layout journaling! I casually traced over the penciled journaling with a couple glitter pens, ripped it out of the notebook, and placed it on my layout. I like the messy randomness of it, hehe, as well as the insight it gives into how my thought process goes as I create journaling.


Other thrifty accents on this layout include:

A heart stencil from a punch-out sheet in my kids' craft supplies. I ran it through the ole Sizzix with a Cuttlebug embossing folder, then misted and wet-embossed it for an antique look.

Vintage trim layering...the bias tape is from my Grandma. I sewed vintage lace from my OTHER Grandma over the top. This accent makes me smile. :)




So, there you have it, a fun, shabby, artsy, freestyle layout that was rewarding, thrifty, AND sentimental for me all at the same time! What do you have lying around your craft space to be creative and thrifty with?!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this page and your narrative so much! Thanks for the insights and the beautiful, inspiring art! Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete